Thursday, January 17, 2008

Canadian Pop Culture's Wet Dream.


Douglas Coupland + the CBC + the Canadian music scene = jPod. Effing brilliant.

As a HUGE Coupland fan, it’s incredible to see jPod, one of his latest novels, come to life on the screen. Although I have only seen two episodes, I am crossing my fingers that this show will take off without disappointment. The author’s wry sense of humour and twisted take on the most mundane realities is always entertaining, and although some of the acting is questionable, I would venture that jPod is one of the best things to come from the CBC in a while. If you don't believe me, check it out - you can stream full episodes from the site.

But I’m not here to review television shows.

Here is a sampler of some of the (mostly Canadian) songs that graced the first two episodes:

"Celly Cue" by Fndmntl
"Flamenco" by
The Tragically Hip
"Walking With A Ghost" by Tegan and Sara
"Noctuary" by
Bonobo
"What The Snowman Learned About Love" by
Stars
"Tenderoni" by Chromeo
"The Sidewalk Cruise" by Cassettes Won't Listen
"Fashionable People" by Joel Plaskett
"Ketto" by Bonobo
"Blackpool Roll" by Mr. Scruff
"Food For My Soul" by The Dragons


Enjoy.


And read The Gum Thief. It’s incredible.

No comments: