Wednesday, June 18, 2008

It’s pronounced Dah-veed.


I’ve been meaning to update my mp3 player for some time now, and I think it’s actually been on my floor charging for a week, untouched. I just haven't gotten around to it, and since it’s been a while, I know that the update will be quite the upheaval. I’m simply not ready to deal with that much change, plus it's old and dingy and that makes the whole operation even more unmotivating.

So to compensate for this lack of a constant soundtrack, I’ve resorted to listening to online radio at work (sadly, since my commute has become a bike ride, there is no listening to music in transit for the time being – I would most certainly perish).

I’ve been finding this web-radio experience suprisingly enlightening, because every once in a while something totally new comes on that kind of blows me away. So I write it on a Post-It, come home and dance to it.

This is an example of such an occurrence.

David Ramos (see above for correct pronunciation) is completely random in the coolest way. Last year, he was named one of Modern Drummer Magazine's Top 10 Progressive Drummers of Today for his work on the Toca album. He also dabbles in hardcore metal, indie folk and rap. Sceptical? I hear you.

Surprisingly enough, his diverse mix of musical skills all come together, right here. It’s kind of drone-y or straight up weird at times, but then the synth stream gets interrupted by random instruments or Ramos’ own brand of awkward yet endearing rapping. Try it out with an open mind – this album sometimes sounds like it was self-produced in a basement. But that’s only because, well, it WAS.

I recommend Pulse Myopathic Scubacop RMX and Face Full.

This video for Kings and Queens is pretty haunting too, though I'm not a huge fan of this song.

No comments: