Wednesday, June 11, 2008

New Wolf Parade!


Fighting the urge to simply write “weeeee!” and post the songs, I will take a time out from the tedious apartment renovation projects I am undertaking and write a few words about this.

At Mount Zoomer is the long anticipated new album from Montreal’s Wolf Parade. It officially comes out June 17, almost 3 whole years after the bands first LP, Apologies to the Queen Mary. Although Sunset Rubdown, Handsome Furs and the band members' numerous other side projects have managed to tide us over until now, I’m REALLY stoked about this album. Note that I would never say, nor have I ever said ‘stoked’ out loud. But it looks good written down, no?

I was anxious to see what the band would put together after its members strayed in almost every possible direction with other musical aspirations, and I’m glad to report that it’s pretty tight. Spencer Krug and Dan Boeckner still have the sobbing voices we’ve grown to love, and the melodies are much more complex, with a decent amount of their signature dissonance. I was disappointed to notice that raw, dance-seizure-inducing tunes such as Shine a Light seem absent, but I see it as a necessary evolution. Producing a sophomore album after an acclaimed debut is kind of like going to high school after a supercool older sibling – you’re going to be judged pretty harshly if you try to be a carbon copy.

All in all, I'm happy these guys are back. Watch for a tour starting in July, with Canadian dates as of August.

Here a few ditties (another word I write but do not say) for you.

Wolf Parade - California Dreamer

Wolf Parade - Language City

No comments: