Thursday, August 7, 2008

Summer Advice.


I have yet to identify what strange occurence lead me to dig up this far-gone memory, but remember Baz Luhrmann? He was the dude who waxed poetic on the merit of sunscreen, shimmying his way to the top of the charts. Yes, I am talking about Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen), that video that was on constant rotation in the late late nineties.

So about Luhrmann. Did you know that this dude directed both Romeo + Juliet and Moulin Rouge!? I sure didn't, but IMDB just informed me. What a weird side project that song must have been, eh? I can just picture him, during a family dinner, abruptly dropping his fork in his plate full of Mrs. Luhrmann's homemade ratatouille to declare: "I know that Romeo and Juliet was a huge success and all, but I've been thinking that it's time for me to follow my dream of crafting a one-hit-wonder". Or so the legend goes...

But seriously, this song is associated with all kinds of mysteries. First off, Luhrmann gets no credit for the lyrics: the words are from an essay entitled "Advice, like youth, probably just wasted on the young" written by Chicago Tribune Columnist Mary Schmich, who allegedly ripped this wisdom from Kurt Vonnegut? Ok, I am dwelling and you don't care. Here's what you want to see:
Wow, that totally made me all misty-eyed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh my god, that speech was my absolute fav in highschool. i can recite that whole speech without much hesitation. it is so amazing.