Friday, May 2, 2008

Ugh, another one.

So Scarlett Johansson makes music now. I'm still completely torn, because unlike waaay too many actors who attempt to cross over into the music business, she kinda has a bit of cred. Here’s why:


a) Her entire album consists of Tom Waits covers, which is a cool concept.
b) "Falling Down" features David Bowie, who is supercool.


I first heard “Falling Down” without knowing these tidbits, and was thoroughly embarrassed for Ms. Johansson. Her voice is so monotonous and the lyrics are pretty repetitive, not to mention that this video is pretty narcissistic. It’s like these all these actresses turn to making music so they can make 4 minute video clips focusing strictly on them.

But now that I’ve read a bit more about the project and the amount of cool people involved in creating this, I guess I feel a bit more forgiving. But I still wouldn’t buy the album. Well, maybe in a few years, when it’s being sold for $5.99 on those rotating racks on the counter of small town convenience stores beside the beef jerky and the penny jar raising money for the local fiddle festival. Too harsh?

Needless to say people are quick to express their dislike for this project – this video alone has had over 50 000 views, and over 300 comments from viewers expressing their disapproval.

I don’t know, I’m at a loss. And now I made myself kinda crave beef jerky, which is upsetting.

Judge for yourself...


No comments: